Friday 10 January 2014

New Year, New Start - Blood Raven Captain

Morning all.

It's been a long while since I made a post on here. In this year I've had multiple projects to deal with at work, moved house and had another baby born, which has kept me from posting and away from hobby stuff mostly.

I'll keep this brief since I'm planning on doing a "here's my backlog and plans for the year post" soon.

It's been about 6 or 7 months since I last actually painted, but since new year I've managed to get some bits done. I finally got around to painting my magnetised Eldar vehicle weapons so that's all my Eldar army completely painted now.

Then the last few nights I wanted to paint an actual model as opposed to just weapons, so I had a Black Reach Marine captain lying around which I'd been wanting to use as a test for Blood Ravens paint scheme for a while.

It took me a lot longer than usual to paint him up, partly down to awkwardness of the model and details covering other details, but also trying to get a nice red colour on the armour.


Overall I think the black wash is too heavy, but that's also possibly down to where I left the model to dry in the new house (to keep my paint desk away from a grabby toddler) and also possibly because I've not painted for a while and slopped it on way too heavily.

I wasn't sure on what other colours to use for things like the banner and robes, as all I could find of Blood Ravens was black, red and cream along with green power sourcing.

I really enjoyed painting him though, was a welcome treat to paint a single model not tied to any army, although it's made me consider making a small Space Marine allied detachment of Blood Ravens.

So there we are. I'm going to try and get some Chaos Terminators painted up next and then that's the stuff on my paint desk cleared. After this, my aim for January is to get a test Firewarrior and Termagant painted up so I can decide on a colour scheme.

Hopefully I'll be a bit more regular with posting now things have eased up, but it'll mostly be hobby progress or thoughts on codexes / ebooks as playing time isn't much of an option currently.

Cheers,
SB

2 comments: