Tuesday 23 October 2012

Why You Should Always Read The FAQ - Dark Eldar

I'll keep this short this morning, had what feels like the worst nights sleep ever although on the bright side I had a really enjoyable first game against a new-ish player at the club last night.

I've been working on a 1500pt list for Dark Eldar that I'm tweaking so it's my "go to" and can get left in a box ready to go, but we were due to play 1,000pts. Since I didn't have much time after work, I decided rather than write a new 1k list, I'd just drop some stuff out of the 1500pts.

So I chopped out the Scourges, Beastmasters and tweaked the Wargear on my Archon.

Anyways... over the last few weeks I've always realised after the games that I'd done something wrong.


1. Huskblades are AP2. 
Page 58 – Dark Eldar Wargear, Huskblade.
Change the last sentence to read “A huskblade is an AP2 melee
weapon with the Instant Death special rule.”
In the words of the great man above... D'oh. I had my Archon with Huskblade and Shadowfield stuck in a unit of  2 Terminators for about 6 or 7 assault phases with both sides doing nothing. Had I realised it was now AP2 I could have done something useful with him.

Had I read the FAQ properly (Why not put it up with the Klaive and other weapon profile clarifications???) I would have been able to hack through the Terminators and maybe contest a nearby objective.

2.Enhanced Aethersails.
Q: Can a vehicle move Flat Out in the same turn that it has used
enhanced aethersails (p63)
A: Yes.
I had been taking these on my Raiders because I wrote my list up before I realised how "Flat Out" now works. So I'd always thought that since Aethersails means you can't shoot, you couldn't go Flat Out.

Turns out you can!

Which means Raiders with Aethersails going Flat Out can go between 32" and 42" (if I've worked it out correctly), with a 4+ Jink save. If I'm right, after the initial 12" move they can then only go in a straight line, but it's still quite nasty.

3. Torment Grenade Launchers
Page 63 – Torment Grenade Launcher.
In the last sentence, change “must pass a Morale check” to
“must pass a Leadership test”.

This was one from the week before but I thought I'd chuck it in here. This now means that Fearless troops have to take a leadership test in order to charge a Raider with a Torment Grenade Launchers. (As far as I can see anyway).

But we also had the issue that neither of us had the Rulebook FAQ to hand and weren't sure whether a walker would need to test. Soooooo... we wasted half an hour of game time flicking through the rulebook and codexes.

Had we had the rulebook FAQ to hand, we would have spotted this, and clarified it pretty quick:
Q: Can psychic powers or other effects that cause a Leadership test,
for example the Tyranids’ Psychic Scream, affect vehicles or units
embarked upon transports? (p76 / p78)
A: No.
Anyway...

Moral of the story kids? Read your bloomin' FAQ.

SB.


No comments:

Post a Comment