Tuesday 22 May 2012

Badger's Log - Back in Backlog

Ello folks,

Over the last 6 or 7 months I've gotten really lothargic with 40k. Even prior to my Daughter being born last month, I hadn't picked up a paint brush for a fair few months, had no time or energy to glue and assemble stuff and also wasn't finding any playing time.

I built and converted a fair amount of stuff over the winter period while I was stuck inside, but due to the weather being horrible 90% of the time, I never got anything sprayed up. Which meant nothing got painted...

So yeah, it's a vicious circle I've been stuck in. Lack of motivation and time blocking one thing, meaning the next thing gets pushed back and so on.

Anyways... I'm trying to give myself a big kick into hobbying again, with the lead up to 6th edition.


A few years ago, in the lead up to my first Britcon, I found that making a list of what models needed painting and pinning it to the wall above my paint desk, then ticking them off as I go, was a really good way to manage it. It looked daunting at first, but a few models here and there ticked off got the ball rolling until I had 2k of Chaos Marines and about 2k of Grey Knights painted up.

Looking back, I did a blog post last October about my backlog then and the majority of what's on that list has been chipped off - which is good! http://maws40k.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/baby-got-backlog.html

The Dark Angels and Daemon things on the list have been cleared off and finished. The Brotherhood of the Forge stuff is ready to spray and my Bretonnians are now just resigned to probably never getting painted. Unless they get a new army book and models, or I manage to clone myself and send the clone to work whilst I spend all day at home painting.

So here goes... Here's my updated project lists:

Eldar


Strip:
- 4 Guardians

Assemble:
- 8 Guardians
- 3 x Wave Serpent Weapon sets to magnetise

Spray:
- 20 Dire Avengers
- 3 Wave Serpents
- 1 Falcon
- 6 War Walkers
- 1 Farseer
- 5 Jetbikes
- 1 Autarch on Jetbike

Dark Eldar


Spray:
- 30 Kabalite Warriors
- 8 Trueborn
- 6 Hekatrix Bloodbrides
- 3 Venoms

Necrons

Spray:
- 1 Imotekh
- 1 Trazyn
- 1 Cryptek
- 10 Immortals with Tesla Carbines
- 5 Lychguard with Shields
- 1 Ghost Ark
- 1 Catacomb Command Barge

Brotherhood of the Forge

Spray:
- 1 Archconfessor Kyrinov
- 5 Dominions
- 6 Crusader Henchmen
- 10 Seraphim
- 20 Sisters of Battle
- 5 Command Squad Celestians
- 1 Saint Celestine
- 1 Immolator

Bretonnians


  Paint:
- 5 Bretonnian Mounted Yeomen
- 2 Bretonnian Damsels
- 8 Bretonnian Grail Knights
- 1 Grail Reliquae with 20 Battle Pilgrims
- 3 Pegasus Knights
- 10 Knights Errant

I think that's everything for 40k that I can think of dotted around my house...

Admittedly it's not the worlds biggest backlog, but to me it's an annoyance. This time last year, Bretonnians aside, I was well on top of my backlog. Then, a slow hobbying summer due to work made it build up again with me working on a Dark Angels army, then needing more Daemon bits for a tournament.

Similarly 2012 has been unfavourable to my hobbying, between work schedule and baby related stuff my backlog had again increased - it didn't help that I bought a 2nd hand Eldar army in that time though...

Hopefully by listing what I have left to do, I can start ticking it off on here and chipping away. I'm not planning on buying anything more now until 6th edition hits, apart from getting my Eldar up to 2k for if I were to take them to Britcon.

So that's my worklog for the next few months, but more than likely, the rest of this year... It should then leave me with at least 2k for each of my armies and only bits and bobs left to do.

Over and out!
SB

3 comments:

  1. Hi, can you tell me where you got that awesome dwarf model? Is it an OOP GW product? Very nice paintjob, btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Reg,

    The Dwarf model is OOP now, but pretty easy to get on eBay. It's the plastic Dwarf thane / lord from the 7th ed WHFB starter set Battle for Skull Pass.

    I think at the time, I got him for £2 off eBay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a really cool model.

      Delete